Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations: 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will Faberge make an egg to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II?

In honouring the Platinum Jubilee, an outdoor photography exhibition at Chartwell in Kent will run next year (Saturday January 15 - Sunday February 27 2022) to showcase the special relationship between The Queen and Sir Winston Churchill.

Churchill and the Crown exhibition at Chartwell 2022
In her Platinum Jubilee year, a series of hand-selected archive photographs will tell the story of the special relationship between The Queen and Sir Winston Churchill, at his family home.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ch...ll-and-the-crown-exhibition-at-chartwell-2022

‘Special relationship’ between the Queen and Sir Winston Churchill on display at exhibition
Public to get a glimpse of photos showcasing their lives at Churchill and The Crown in Chartwell, ahead of the monarch’s Platinum Jubilee
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1640703799-1
Archived link: https://archive.ph/1TZvS

Last edited:
In honouring the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison has announced the re-naming of Aspen Island to Queen Elizabeth II Island in June 2022. The National Carillon on Aspen Island was opened by Her Majesty in 1970. The Prime Minister has also revealed some events in the celebration of Platinum Jubilee including "lighting of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Beacon in Canberra, the release of commemorative stamps and coins, as well as illuminating monuments all around Australia"

Australia to honour the Platinum Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II with national events in 2022
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced an island will be named after the Queen this year as he revealed plans to honour Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee.
https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...2/news-story/b62cfbf0d6443c37bd8b182b18b3048b

Assuming my delayed trip from 2020 finally goes ahead I will be in London for the first three days of the Jubilee (I have to travel to Southampton on the Sunday for my cruise).

I am not sure if I am up to standing in The Mall, though for several hours for Trooping etc but I will certainly wander through the crowds to be part of the atmosphere, even if I don't see any royals.

Having had both knees replaced standing for four or so hours isn't really an option for me.

Of course, with covid and the difficulty of getting a covid vaccine passport in the UK as an Aussie it will be a very limited 'seeing trip'. As things currently stand an Aussie has to get an NHS number so they have to go to their doctor here, get an letter of 'introduction' to a chosen GP in the UK, then go and see that doctor, get an NHS number and then that doctor also has to register the Aussie vaccine record into the UK system. The EU is almost as hard ... one friend took about eight hours to get their Aussie vaccine recognised in the EU but even that wasn't recognised in Italy. The Aussie international vaccine certificate isn't recognised in most of the world at the moment for some reason (please bring back the universal vaccine passport - the yellow booklet).

:previous:
I'll be there too!
I'm really looking forward to it.

I am also looking forward to all the celebrations. Hope they televise some of them.

I wish I could be there.

Assuming my delayed trip from 2020 finally goes ahead I will be in London for the first three days of the Jubilee (I have to travel to Southampton on the Sunday for my cruise).

I am not sure if I am up to standing in The Mall, though for several hours for Trooping etc but I will certainly wander through the crowds to be part of the atmosphere, even if I don't see any royals.

Having had both knees replaced standing for four or so hours isn't really an option for me.

Of course, with covid and the difficulty of getting a covid vaccine passport in the UK as an Aussie it will be a very limited 'seeing trip'. As things currently stand an Aussie has to get an NHS number so they have to go to their doctor here, get an letter of 'introduction' to a chosen GP in the UK, then go and see that doctor, get an NHS number and then that doctor also has to register the Aussie vaccine record into the UK system. The EU is almost as hard ... one friend took about eight hours to get their Aussie vaccine recognised in the EU but even that wasn't recognised in Italy. The Aussie international vaccine certificate isn't recognised in most of the world at the moment for some reason (please bring back the universal vaccine passport - the yellow booklet).

:previous:
I'll be there too!
I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope you both have a wonderful trip, and come away with some wonderful memories. I also hope you all willingly spend quite a lot of money in support of the British economy whilst you are over! ?

Let's hope the service at St Paul's forms part of a great big coach procession to & from BP like in 2002.

Might as well pull out all the stops.?

Wasn’t the reason for cars instead of coaches in 2012, that it had become too uncomfortable for The Queen and The Duke to travel such a long way in coaches ?

If so, i don’t think she at 96 and not in the best health anymore, will go to St Pauls in anything else than her state bentley, accompanied by a lady in waiting.

Last edited:
A marvelous assortment of Jubilee activities are discussed.

It will be a deserved celebration. I hope the Queen is well enough to enjoy it.

I have already entered in the Platinum Pudding Competition by Fortnum and Mason.
I am no cook but I imagined a fantastic fun looking hat, similar to those the Queen wears. I made it out of 3 Pavlovas layered, Lemon Posset and Berry Mousse. It is way too messy to win but I can't wait to see what real cooks come up with, in honour of the Queen.

Hopefully the British weather will behave for the planned 4 day UK bank holiday ;)

I have already entered in the Platinum Pudding Competition by Fortnum and Mason.
I am no cook but I imagined a fantastic fun looking hat, similar to those the Queen wears. I made it out of 3 Pavlovas layered, Lemon Posset and Berry Mousse. It is way too messy to win but I can't wait to see what real cooks come up with, in honour of the Queen.

Good luck with this. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Good luck to you!! I hope that it holds up long enough for you to take a photo and share it here. :flowers:

I know I'll have the best seats in the house for all the events going on for the Platinum Jubilee. Well... the best seats in *my* house at least.

This celebration is something I'm really looking forward to seeing. Lots of people all over the world in a happy mood and watching the United Kingdom rolling out a spectacular tribute to their beloved and iconic queen that has served so faithfully and steadfastly for the past 70 years.

Good luck.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Mark, the Queen's Head Chef (who is one of the judges) essentially said not to complicate things. Two of the judges are from Great British Bake Off (Dame Mary and one of my favourite competitors - Liam) where they seem to go in for bold and unusual flavours. Monica from Masterchef is all about precision.

Frankly my dream desert will always have lemon in it so I love the sound of your desert King of the Jungle and the Pavlova has a nice Aussie twist.

Princes Andrew and Harry to lose another honour – the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee medal

Archive

(...)

To mark the Queen’s 70 years on the throne, the commemorative medal will be awarded to serving members of the Armed Forces, police, fire, emergency and prison services.

Members of the Royal family holding honorary positions in the military are also eligible.

The only veterans that will receive the medal are living recipients of the George Cross or Victoria Cross.*

It means that Princes Harry and Andrew will be treated like all other veterans and not receive the award.

(...)

This article is written By Dominic Nicholls (Telegraph's Defence and Security Editor who's a war veteran himself with 23 years of service in the Army).

But Richard Palmer, a (veteran) royal correspondent of the Express tweeted this:

It’s given as a souvenir to family members whether they work on behalf of the Royal Family or not. Buckingham Palace has said that Andrew and Harry will receive them along with many other members of the family eg Peter Phillips. Wallis Simpson got a Silver Jubilee medal in 1977.

I think Richard Palmer will be right on this - after all Andrew and Edward have the Silver Jubilee Medal when they were aged 17 and 13. Charles and Anne both have the coronation medal from 1953, aged 4 and 2 at the time.

Louise had the Diamond Jubilee Medal which she wore proudly at the Windsor Horse Show for The Queen's 90th birthday.

Harry and Andrew won't qualify as serving or ex-servicemen but they will qualify as child and grandchild of the monarch (Meghan will also get one based on the fact that other in-laws also have the relevant Jubilee medals)

Victoria Arbiter: 'After two tumultuous years, the royals are back - in thrilling style'

(...)

Staying with the exhibition theme, come March, Historic Royal Palaces will unveil a brand new photography exhibition at Kensington Palace.

Slated to highlight the works of world renowned artists such as Rankin, Annie Leibovitz and Norman Parkinson,*Life Through a Royal Lens*will include a selection of images taken by members of the Royal Family together with a series of shots by Princess Margaret's former husband, the late Lord Snowdon.

Lesser-known portraits commissioned by Queen Victoria are also set to feature, as will three photos taken by the Duchess of Cambridge. In a novel and creative quest to involve attendees, however, the exhibit's curators have asked the public to send in their own pictures of the royals.

(...)

Undoubtedly a major draw, particularly for the equine-loving Queen,*A Gallop Through History, scheduled to be held within the grounds of Windsor Castle in May, will see over 500 horses and 1000 performers take part in a breathtaking 90-minute show charting the history of the monarchy from Elizabeth I to present day.

Featuring international military displays from across the Commonwealth and Europe, the British armed forces, artists, actors, dancers and musicians, the performance will also mark the 75th anniversary of Indian independence with a stunning contribution from Bollywood.

(...)

Six thousand five hundred performers, volunteers, veterans and military personnel will take to the streets for an electrifying pageant illustrating seven decades of the Queen's historic reign. Meanwhile, at the Tower of London, the 13th century moat will be transformed into a vibrant field of flowers. A haven for wildlife, pollinators, insects and birds, "Superbloom" will be open to visitors from June.

(...)

beloved and iconic queen that has served so faithfully and steadfastly for the past 70 years.

It is extraordinary to think that one of my parents has lived (just) through four reigns & some of my grandparents lived through six.

Yet for most of us we've only ever known one.

Last edited:
It is extraordinary to think that one of my parents has lived (just) through four reigns & some of my grandparents lived through six.

Yet for most of us we've only ever known one.

I was born in the last month of George VI's reign. My grandfather was born in 1867 in Ireland under Queen Victoria's reign. If I stick to my mantra of being old enough to know better yet young enough not to care, I *may* have lived through three (possibly four) reigns if I'm fortunate to make it to very old age and be drooling in my pudding and talking to my imaginary dog when all is said and done. :eek:

Saw this earlier and it made me think. 1970 (the year I graduated high school and handed in the keys to my dinosaur for a more collegiate model), is in the middle in distance in time from 2022 as 1970 is from 1919 and the tail end of the Spanish Flu epidemic.

Now I think I really need a nap! :D

Queen Mary is reported to have said to a group of GI's during the war that if her great grandfather George iii had been more conciliatory then she & they would still be living in the same country. Probably apocryphal but hey it's a good tale.

It adds an extra layer of historical perspective when we can use our families to signpost the past. An 1867 Irish born grandparent may well have known people who lived through the famine.

There are photographs of men who fought in the American Rebellion (sorry War of Independence :D) on the internet. Mind boggling.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the dog is paid attention to! Nothing worthwhile doing is complete without a dog on hand. It's always made me smile to see the Queen with her dogs.

I can imagine the queen will be receiving a lot of mail ahead of the Platinum Jubilee!

I can imagine the queen will be receiving a lot of mail ahead of the Platinum Jubilee!

I'd be having fits of giggles getting a boatload of mail with stamps with my picture on them. Someone should keep tabs though on all that mail coming and and tabulate how many cards and letters came from different countries from all over the world. Those would really make the Queen's grandfather's eyes sparkle, I bet. :D

The fan in the clip is very interesting. I spot Louise Fife, her brothers Eddy & George & is Willy the kaiser? I presume he is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom